According to Sousa and Tomlinson (2011), “Brain studies suggest that a stimulating learning environment may have a significant impact on an individual’s brain development and eventual level of intelligence” (p. 33). Creating a stimulating learning environment is largely dependent on teacher and student mindsets that are influenced by beliefs, assumptions, and expectations.
Take a moment to reflect on your personal educational experiences and answer the following questions:
- Describe a positive and negative classroom experience you have had in your educational experience and the mindset of the teacher in both those situations.
- Did you feel that your teacher’s mindset in both situations impacted your own mindset in any way? How?
- Using these educational experiences and watching the video Building a Community, describe at least three ways in which you will create your own positive and stimulated learning environment.
- How will you create an atmosphere where students can take intellectual risks without fear of ridicule?
- How will you manage inappropriate behavior, avoid bullying and put-downs?
- What steps will you take to create an atmosphere where students feel safe and included?
Be sure to use evidence from the text to support your assertions.
Use these sites:
Building a Community – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d13vl4WIN_I