Who did the research? What area of research did they investigate?
Assignment # 1: Primary Research Synopsis
Complete a library or Internet search of a publication of interest using a Primary Research Journal. *Be sure to use Primary Research Journals on Sexology etc, assignments completed using secondary or tertiary references will receive partial or no credit. You may choose any topic to research, but it MUST be a topic that is somehow related to Human Sexuality.
To find a primary research article on electronic journal of human sexuality…..
• Go to ejhs.org
• Select one of the Journal Volumes with Table of Contents
• Browse through articles and select an article of interest to you.
• *Make sure that your article has a Methods section
Other Primary research journals which may be useful include
– AIDS Education and Prevention
– Archives of Sexual Behavior
– Family Planning Perspectives
– Journal of Homosexuality
– Journal of Sex Education and Therapy
– Journal of Sex Research
– Journal of the History of Sexuality
Journal of Sex and Marital Therapy
– Sexuality and Disability
– The Electronic Journal of Human Sexuality
– The Society for the Scientific Study of Sexuality (SSSS)
Once you’ve selected a primary research article from topic of human sexuality from a
primary research journal…
• Carefully read and analyze a PRIMARY research journal article.
• In ~1 page, summarize the research
• In ~2 pages, critically evaluate the article for
– Biological accuracy
• Why was the research done?
• Who did the research? What area of research did they investigate?
• What was the significance of the research?
• What type of research method was used?
– Clinical Research: Case Study
– Direct Observation
• Are there any biases in the study?
• Who were the subjects of the study and how were they chosen? Was it a representative
• How many subjects were involved?
• What conclusions were made? Were they reasonable?
• Were there any limitations?
• What areas could be improved in future experiments?
Include the 1st page of your article to the end of your paper.
Example of Journal Citation.
Iverson, Nathan and Steven Johnson. 2009. Vasectomy associated with testosterone levels.
Journal of Sexology 187: 225-239.