here are three part(1,2 and 3) just do accordingly as shown in the attach document.
you can write whaterver you feel
for part 3 question to get an idea you can watch “Nosedive ” in youtube
PART 1 Social Media
How savy are you with Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat, and other social networks? How big is your digital footprint? Let’s find out…
1. How many social networks are you on?
2. How many are you active on?
3. How many friends do you have on your favorite site?
4. What percentage of your friends do you know in real life?
How many results on the first page are really about you? Repeat for Google Image search.
List the sites that come up for you:
Do you think social media sites are good, bad, or something else? Explain.
Instagram Social Media Project:
I want you to do a quantitative analysis of another person’s Instagram social media behavior, paying heed to the themes discussed in class, listed below.
A.) Examine 25 Instagram posts of someone (*Please do not identify the person by name, unless you are using a celebrity or someone famous – if it is a real person refer to them with either an alias – e.g., “John”, or by letter “Person A”
B.) Group the 25 posts thematically in whatever way you choose. This could be hashtags used, filters, type of picture, or a combination thereof (for example, perhaps 10 of your Instagram posts were selfies, 10 were images of them and friends, and 5 were sayings or screen shots).
C) Analysis This project includes both descriptive and analytical elements – the descriptive is the WHAT (what is in the picture on Instagram, literally)
WHY (why do you believe they posted that particular image in a particular way?
What are they communicating? How are they managing their impression to their ‘audience’?)
Notes to help you:
Sociologist Erving Goffman developed the concept of dramaturgy, the idea that life is like a never-ending play in which people are actors. Goffman believed that when we are born, we are thrust onto a stage called everyday life, and that our socialization consists of learning how to play our assigned roles from other people. We enact our roles in the company of others, who are in turn enacting their roles in interaction with us. He believed that whatever we do, we are playing out some role on the stage of life.
Goffman coined the term impression management to refer to our desire to manipulate others’ impressions of us on the front stage. According to Goffman, we use various mechanisms, called sign vehicles, to present ourselves to others. The most commonly employed sign vehicles are the following:
1. Social setting
3. Manner of interacting
I analyzed 25 Instagram posts from ‘PERSON A’. Of the 25 posts I found the following themes:
· 10 of the photos were selfies
· 2 were pictures of the person with their boyfriend/girlfriend (describe poses)
· 4 were screenshots of conversations the person had with someone else on a different social media (Twitter, FB)
· 4 were images of food the person was eating (describe food)
· 5 were memes taken from the internet (describe – were they humorous, serious?)
· In my analysis of PERSON A’s Instagram posts I noticed several trends. In the 10 photos that were selfies I noticed some particular facial expressions, one of Goffman’s sign vehicles. In 5 of the 10 selfies this person made a ‘duck face’ as her facial expression. I believe that the reason she makes this face is to give the impression that _______________________(your analysis here)
· In 2 of the selfies she was also making a peace sign as a form of gesture
1. Do you identify with Lacie from “Nosedive”?
2. If everyone in the U.S. was rated on a scale of 1 to 5, what do you think those ratings would indicate?
3. What privileges would those with a 5 rating hypothetically have in society? What limitations would those with a 1 rating have?