Background: Many historians have characterized the period from the Great Depression until the 1970s as a period when liberal politics were dominant. During this period, only Eisenhower interrupted the Democratic hold on the White House. The U.S. Congress remained under Democratic control for the entire period with the exception of two brief two-year periods in the late 1940s and early 1950s. Republicans only finally regained control of the Senate in 1980 and of the House of Representatives in 1994. As such, many Americans look at the 1970s as the beginning of the rise of conservatism.
- Scholarly source: The rise of conservatism since World War II.
- Website: Pace News Limited. (2013). The Political Compass.
- Scholarly source: ‘Starve the beast’: Origins and development of a budgetary metaphor.
- Video: The presidents: 1977-2004 [Video] from the Films on Demand database.
Instructions: Explore The Political Compasswebsite and take the quiz. Then, refer to your textbook and required resources. In your initial post, explain
- At least one piece of information that you found surprising or interesting on the Political Compass website. It is completely voluntary, but if you are comfortable doing so, include your score in your post.
- At least three reasons for the rise of conservatism in the last part of the 20th century.
- At least one way in which the rise of conservatism had been positive or negative for a specific group of Americans.
Your initial post should be at least 250 words in length. Support your claims with examples from the required material(s) and/or other scholarly resources, and properly cite any references. Your references and citations must be formatted according to APA style. Thanks