According to the text, white-collar crime refers to offenses committed by workers in the course of their commercial activities. In this case study, you will explore white-collar crime as committed by Julian Assange.
Read the article titled “U.S. v. WikiLeaks: espionage and the First Amendment”, located at http://www.nbcnews.com/id/40653249/ns/us_news-wiki…. Next, view the indictment titled “18 U.S.C. § 793: US Code – Section 793: Gathering, transmitting or losing defense information”, located at http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/uscode/18/I/37/793.
Write a three to five (3-5) page paper in which you:
- Examine three (3) elements of white-collar crime and then determine whether or not defendant Julian Assange has committed a white-collar crime or any action that requires prosecution. Provide a rationale to support your position.
- Summarize the Espionage Act, and identify three (3) of the most significant portions of the Act, which you believe Assange infringed upon. Provide support for your opinion.
- Analyze the significance of the growing support for Assange and then examine the degree to which the support he receives is likely a result of his actions of committing a victimless and costless crime. Next, give your opinion as to whether Assange got the outcome that he intended as a result of his actions. Provide a rationale to support your response.
- As a result of a number of overwhelming facts surrounding this case, debate the likelihood of the Department of Justice categorizing Assange’s behavior as deviant. Next, determine three (3) possible effects on the pursuit of justice if the Justice Department does or does not consider Assange’s behavior deviant. Justify your response.
- Use at least three (3) quality academic resources in this assignment. Note: Wikipedia and similar type Websites do not qualify as academic resources.