Families are as unique as the individuals who form them. While you may utilize the same or similar techniques while working with family systems (through the steps in the GIM and related practice skills), it is also important to recognize that each family has its own unique needs and experiences in the world. The empowerment perspective states that an essential aspect of working with individuals and families is to address their feelings of powerlessness and oppression. Empowerment is a process; one part of that process is to gain an awareness of the oppressive structures evident in our society. Oppression, in the form of racism, sexism, classism, and homophobia, can impact a family’s quality of life and ability to thrive. In this Discussion, you consider the many aspects of working with diverse families.
To prepare: Select a diverse family system, such as a family with differences in sexual orientation, a family with differences in race or ethnicity, or a family with members who are managing a disability. Then, consider potential barriers they might encounter in society. Think about how a social worker might address one of these barriers on an individual, family, organizational, group, or community level. Next, visit the Walden Library to conduct research on barriers and intervention approaches for working with this type of family. Support this post using peer-reviewed article(s), in addition to the assigned resources.
- Provide a brief description of the diverse family system you selected.
- Explain potential barriers or challenges this family might encounter that is related to diversity.
- Provide evidence from scholarly resources to support the existence of this barrier.
- Explain how a social worker might address this barrier on an individual, family, organizational, group, or community level.
- Provide evidence from scholarly resources to support social work approach.
Support your post with APA citations to the course text and any other resources used to respond to this discussion. Demonstrate that you have completed the required readings, understand the material, and are able to apply the concepts. Include a full reference of resources at bottom of post.