- Describe three to five different ways in which a psychologist or counselor may acquire or maintain competence in a specific area of practice. Does supervision play a role in any of the ways you described? Explain.
- Explore the divisions of APA (http://www.apa.org/about/division/). Which would you join? How would you use those divisions to continue your education/training in the field of psychology? Are there other ways to gain expertise in a psychological emphasis (i.e., forensic, development)? Explain.
Read Case 7: Handling Disparate Information for Evaluating Trainees on pages 440-441 in your textbook. Once you have read the case study completely, answer the discussion questions found in the attached document “Case 7” under the assignment tab.
PSY-510 Contemporary and Ethical Issues in Psychology
Handling Disparate Information
Directions: In a minimum of 50 words, for each question, thoroughly answer each of the questions below regarding Case 7: Handling Disparate Information for Evaluating Trainees. Use one to two scholarly resources to support your answers. Use in-text citations when appropriate, according to APA formatting.
- Why is this an ethical dilemma? Which APA Ethical Principles help frame the nature of the dilemma?
- Who are the stakeholders and how will they be affected by how Dr. Vaji resolves this dilemma?
- What additional information might Dr. Vaji collect to provide him with a more accurate picture of Leo’s multicultural attitudes and professional skills? What are the reasons for and against contacting Leo’s supervisor for more information? Should he request that Leo’s sessions with clients be electronically recorded or observed?
- Is Dr. Vaji in a potentially unethical multiple relationship as both Leo’s externship supervisor and his teacher in the Health Disparate class? Why or why not?
- To what extent, if any, should Dr. Vaji consider Leo’s own ethnicity in his deliberations? Would the dilemma be addressed differently if Leo self-identified as non-Hispanic white, Hispanic, or non-Hispanic black?
- Once the dilemma is resolved, should Dr. Vaji have a follow-up meeting with the students who complained?
- How are APA Ethical Standards 1.08, 3.04, 3.05, 3.09, 7.04, 7.05, and 7.06 and the Hot Topics “Ethical Supervision of Trainees” (Chapter 10) and “Multicultural Ethical Competence” (Chapter 5) relevant to this case? Which other standards might apply?
- What are Dr. Vaji’s ethical alternatives for resolving this dilemma? Which alternatives best reflects the Ethics Code aspirational principles and enforceable standards, legal standards, and obligations to stakeholders? Can you identify the ethical theory (discussed in Chapter 3) guiding your decision?
- What steps should Dr. Vaji take to implement his decision and monitor its effect?