Please choose one of the following questions:
- After reading the chapter on race and ethnicity, discuss how race is more of a social construct than biological. Next, visit the PBS site on race and click through several of the activities on the site OR view the video A Girl Like Me (under “Lived Experience”). Next, share a reflection on the activities or video, addressing race in the U.S. and relating it to topics in the chapter (such as prejudice, privilege, racism, etc.).
- Why do sociologists find it important to differentiate between sex and gender? What importance does the differentiation have in modern society? Find a recent news piece (within the last 3 months) on gender or provide an example of how gender is portrayed in the media (such as advertisements shown on GenderAds.com). Share a link to your selected source or image and describe the connection to the course topics this week (such as sexism or gender roles).
- Compare and contrast the theories on aging from the readings. Have you observed any of these theories (such as activity or disengagement theory) in society? Find an example of a recent news piece (within the last three months) related to aging in the U.S. Share a link for your source and discuss the connection to the course materials (a full citation is not required).
The Week 5 Forum meets the following course objectives:
- Apply a sociological perspective to the social world.
- Analyze contemporary social issues using the sociological imagination and use sociological theories and concepts to analyze everyday life.
- Describe sex and gender, race and ethnicity, and the elderly in the United States as well as how prejudice and discrimination impacts certain groups of people in society.