- Understand the theoretical basis for age-related services and programs
- Differentiate between anecdotal and evidence-based knowledge
- Study and analyze one aging-related theory
- Read and analyze one research study designed to test the selected theory
- Discuss practical applications of the theory
The Role of Theories
Address the following questions
- Why do we need theories (in general)?
- How do aging theories change our perception of older adults?
- What is their relevance to those who work in this field?
- How can the quality of elder services be improved by these theories?
Select A Theory
Identify one biological, social or developmental theory
- Describe its premise, components, concepts & definitions, assumptions
- Address how and why the theory was developed
Select A Research study
- Must be a primary source
- Must be specifically designed to test the theory you had selected
- Found in a peer- reviewed journal
- Qualitative or quantitative in design
- Generally a control & experimental group
- Study limitations
- Recommendations for future study
- Relevance and application to practice
- Quality of writing