- make connections and analyze problems related to current events using knowledge of the historical context of diversity issues
- advocate within interpersonal relationships, communities, and organizations, utilizing tools of diversity consciousness and applying knowledge of civil rights and the social ramifications of diversity
students are required to submit a final project which is worth one quarter of the final course grade. This project should reflect the student’s highest level of work. The Personal Action Plan for Diversity Consciousnessrequires students to reflect on what they have learned about diversity understanding, awareness and skills through a practical exercise which culminates in a final 5 to 7 page paper promoting diversity at the individual, community, and even global level. Because communication is a vital skill in promoting diversity awareness, this written project is expected to be thoughtful, well-organized, and well-written. Students may wish to consult with the Effective Writing Center and Information and Library Services for guidance.
The Personal Action Plan will consist of a written final product in which the following items are addressed:
PERSONAL GROWTH: 36 possible points
- Reason(s) for taking the course? (4 points)
- What are at least two ways in which my “diversity awareness” has been affected by taking this class? (8 points)
- What are at least two ways in which my “diversity understanding” has been affected by taking this class? (8 points)
- What are at least two ways in which my “diversity skills” have been affected by taking this class? (8 points)
- What are at least two steps that I need to take to become a more diversity conscious individual? (8 points)
DIVERSITY BENEFITS: 12 possible points
What are at least three specific benefits that I will gain from valuing diversity? Support your response with evidence from your text and/or other materials (e.g. personal journals and Discussion posts, in-class presentations, external sources)
DIVERSITY COMMUNICATION: 16 possible points
- What is the role of communication in promoting diversity awareness? Provide in-text citations from your text and/or other external sources. Use APA format. (8 points)
- What are at least two ways in which I will improve my communication skills to help others work more productively with me? (8 points)
DIVERSITY GOALS: 8 possible points
What are at least two of my most important diversity goals for the future?
DIVERSITY ACTIONS: 16 possible points
- What are three specific ways I will achieve my diversity goals and contribute to creating an environment that values diversity? (Specify whether contributions will have a personal, community or global impact) (12 points)
- What resources will I need to honor these commitments? (4 points)
COMPOSITION AND MECHANICS: 12 possible points
- Writing is clear, concise and comprehensible (4 points)
- Errors in spelling, punctuation, capitalization, syntax, grammar, etc. are minimal and do not detract from the author’s meaning (4 points)
- In-text citations and references are properly cited using APA style (for assistance with APA style, consult Information and Library Services) (4 points)
FORMAT OF THE REPORT:
- Length: Your report will be 5-7 double spaced pages in length, not including the title page or reference page
- Font: 12 point; Arial or Times New Roman
- Margins: 1 inch on all sides
- Pagination: Page numbers should be included on every page except the title page.
- Title Page: Should include the title of your report and your name centered on the page.
- References: Your last page should list all of the sources you have used in alphabetical order and in APA format.
- Citations: Remember to cite any language, information or ideas that are not your own in order to avoid plagiarism. In–text citations and references should be in APA format.
- Tone: This is a formal written assignment. Avoid using jargon, slang, contractions or colloquialisms.
- Syntax: Grammar, spelling, capitalization and sentence construction are important. Always proofread your work!