Ethics in Commerce
Sparrow Pharmaceuticals is the maker of several popular drugs used to treat high blood pressure and arthritis. Over time, the company has developed a positive relationship with many of the patients who use its medications through a quarterly newsletter that offers the latest information on new medical research findings and general health and fitness articles. The company just has been acquired by a group of investors who also own Soothing Waters Hot Tubs and Spas. The marketing director for Soothing Waters would like to use Sparrow’s mailing list for a direct-mail promotion.
- What should Sparrow Pharmaceuticals do?
- Do you think it is ethical to use customer information across multiple divisions of the same company? Explain.
- To which marketing management philosophy do you think the marketing director for Soothing Waters subscribes? Explain.
- Does the AMA Statement of Ethics address the use of the customer information by multiple divisions of the same company? Go to http://www.marketingpower.com and review the statement. Then write a brief paragraph on how the AMA Statement of Ethics relates to Sparrow Pharmaceuticals’ dilemma. Link to the AMA Statement of Ethics: https://www.ama.org/AboutAMA/Pages/Statement-of-Ethics.aspx
The requirements below must be met for your paper to be accepted and graded:
- Write between 500 words
- Attempt APA style, see example below.
- Reference material (data, dates, graphs, quotes, paraphrased words, values, etc.) must be identified in the paper and listed on a reference page.